Macau Grand Prix to have fewer foreign racers than expected

AIPS
Macau Grand Prix to have fewer foreign racers than expected

Macao has not recorded a new COVID-19 case for 101 days, while no local case has been confirmed in 190 days.

 
MACAU, Oct. 7, 2020: Sports Bureau (ID) vice-president, Christine Lam Lin Kio, said that the government now believes that the number of foreign racers competing in this year’s Macau Grand Prix (MGP) will be “much less” than what was originally expected, as some of those who had previously expressed their willingness to come for the annual motor-racing event this year have changed their mind due to the city’s 14-day quarantine requirement.
Lam said that the Macau Grand Prix Organising Committee (MGPOC) aimed to make a decision by next week on its final arrangements for this year’s MGP.
The Sports Bureau announced last month that the annual GP will take place without its signature Formula 3 race for the first time in 37 years. The 67th Macau Grand Prix is slated to be held from November 19 to 22, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic its programme will be curtailed. Unlike the F3 race, the 54th Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix would go ahead, the bureau announced last month.
The Sports Bureau also said last month that foreign racers and their team members would have to present a nucleic acid test (NAT) certificate confirming that they have tested negative for COVID-19 before they can board flights to Macau. Upon arrival in Macau, they would immediately be transferred to one of the government’s “quarantine hotels” for their 14 days of quarantine and medical observation, and they would only be allowed to race if they have not been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus disease during the quarantine period, the Sports Bureau said last month.
Lam said that for the time being the committee does not know the exact total number of teams and racers participating in this year’s Macau Grand Prix. Lam said that the committee now aimed to make a decision by the middle of this month on its final arrangements for the annual motor-racing event this year.
Lam said that the committee would determine later whether the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix can take place during the upcoming Macau Grand Prix. She said that the motorcycle race could only take place if a minimum number of riders compete. Last year, the minimum stood at 22 riders.
Lam underlined that the committee will organise the upcoming Macau Grand Prix in strict adherence with the local government’s COVID-19 prevention measures.
Lam pointed out that the Macau Grand Prix with a history of over six decades is not only a motor-racing event but also an important event promoting Macau’s tourism and economy. In addition to being a sports event, the Macau Grand Prix is also a major event in Macau, she said.
Lam underlined that as Macao’s COVID-19 situation has stabilised, the government plans to organise a string of sports events, including the Macau Grand Prix, so as to stimulate the local economy.
Macao has not recorded a new COVID-19 case for 101 days, while no local case has been confirmed in 190 days.
Attachments area